E-liquids have revolutionized the way we enjoy nicotine, offering a wide range of flavors and nicotine strengths. Among the innovations in the vaping industry, shortfill e-liquids have gained popularity as a versatile and customizable option. Shortfills are nicotine-free e-liquids with extra space in the bottle for adding nicotine shots or nic shots. In this article, we’ll explore how nic shots work, why they’ve become a favorite among vapers, and how they enable you to tailor your vaping experience to your preferences.
Understanding Nic Shots
Nic shots, short for nicotine shots, are small bottles of concentrated nicotine solution. They come in various nicotine strengths, typically measured in milligrams per milliliter (mg/ml). Nicotine shots are not a new thing – they have been with us since the introduction of the TPD. Typically a nic shot comes in a 10ml bottle and contains up to 20mg/ml nicotine content as required by the Tobacco Products Directive. Common strengths include 18mg/ml, 9mg/ml, and 3mg/ml, among others. Nic shots allow vapers to add nicotine to shortfill e-liquids, turning them into custom-made nicotine-containing e-liquids.
How To Use Nic Shots with Shortfill E-Liquids?
Using nic shots to enhance shortfill e-liquids is a straightforward process:
- Choose Your Shortfill: Start by selecting a shortfill e-liquid flavor that appeals to your taste buds. Shortfills come in a variety of flavors, from fruity to dessert-inspired.
- Select Nicotine Strength: Decide on your desired nicotine strength. This will depend on your nicotine tolerance and vaping preferences. Nic shots come in different strengths, so you have the flexibility to personalize your e-liquid.
- Mix the Nic Shot: Remove the cap from your shortfill bottle and pour in the nic shot. Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for the recommended nicotine-to-shortfill ratio. Typically, adding a full nic shot to a shortfill bottle creates a 3mg/ml nicotine strength.
- Shake and Steep: Once you’ve added the nic shot, seal the shortfill bottle and give it a good shake to ensure thorough mixing. Some vapers also allow the mixture to steep for a day or two to enhance flavor.
- Enjoy: Your custom nicotine-containing e-liquid is now ready to be loaded into your vaping device and enjoyed to your heart’s content.
How to calculate the best strength?
At the beginning, calculating the strength of your final e-liquid was pretty simple.
Short-fill e-liquids typically contained 20ml of nicotine-free liquid in a 30ml bottle. Adding an 18mg nic shot to 20ml short fill results in a 6mg e-liquid, a 9mg nic shot results in a 3mg ready-to-vape e-liquid. Currently, short-fill e-liquids come in different bottle sizes with a different amounts of liquid inside, making calculating your required nicotine shots strength more difficult.
Adding nic shots to short fill e-liquids
Having problems figuring out what strength nic shots you will need to add to your short fill to receive a desired nicotine strength? We have prepared a simple reference chart that should make mixing your shortfills quick and simple.